Saturday, July 28, 2012

Creamer


Creamer

I was walking through Hannaford yesterday in search of some creamer for my mom. I soon found it and delivered it to my mom, proud of my quick find.

Now, every object in existence reminds of something, like pistachio shells remind me of my grandma. Creamer reminds me of  ministry…the ministry of my parents.

I love my parents. Though they are not perfect, they are parents, and I love them. Not love them like ‘smile real big, make your eyes as big as watermelons, and beat your long lashes, and they’ll give you everything you want’, or like ‘just exist, do the dishes once-in-a-while, and let them brag about you to their popular Christian friends who think you’re cuter, smarter, and more spiritually wise than their own kids, and they’ll leave you alone.’ No, I honestly, seriously, legitimately love my parents. There are so many things I admire about the. First of all, they are patient. From poop- filled diapers, to midnight panics, to random confessions, my parents have been patient and so kind……well, dad can be a little harsh at 2 am. I am so thankful for the way that they have been patient and worked through so many things with me. Another thing I admire about my parents is their loyalty to each other and their marriage. They have remained faithful to the vows they made 14 years ago. They have given me the perfect example of what marriage should be. My mom has been so submissive to my father and the things God has asked of him, even in moving fourteen times. I want to be a wife that is just like her someday. I want to follow my husband wherever God leads him, and ONLY where God leads him. My dad is also a strong pillar in my life. He takes such good care of me, my sister, and ESPECIALLY my mom. He is tender and kind to her, caring about every detail for her. He stands up for her, and does his best to give her all that she needs, including a caring husband. He’s shown me what to look for in a guy someday. I am so proud of the love my parents have given one another, every day. The third, and I’ll say most treasured thing I admire about my parents, is their great love for the Lord, and their ministry to other people. Being the daughter of a pastor, I get to see all the different people my parents have discipled, encouraged, and led in the ministry God has given them. I love how the coffee pot is always full (the creamer always ready), or the bed always warm, or the phone always on. I love lying in bed, and hearing all the voices of friends in need, being encouraged by my parents. But I know, as they’ve said time and time again, that this is not their ministry, it’s the Lord’s. HE is doing the work in others’ lives through them, and THAT is what makes me proud.

There was no greater joy for me, than to be there two Sundays ago, and see my father’s installation. No greater joy than to see my daddy beaming. No greater joy than to see my mom’s happiness through her joyful tears. No greater joy than to stand on the stage, hand in hand with my family, and to see the whole church rise before us in their support of God’s work through us. I will remember that day for the rest of my life.

Thank you, God for my wonderful parents. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh Paige!
    This is amazing!
    you are so smart and so wise for your age. I bet your parents are so so so proud of you!
    You are amazing!
    What a huge blessing!
    :)
    Cant wait to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful, encouraging, and inspiring words! Thank you for sharing Paige.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paige, I love this and I love you! I love what you have written about your parents because I know it to be true. xoxo

    ReplyDelete